Friday, January 1, 2010

Best Advice from a Magazine Article Ever

Unfortunately, I can't remember the magazine, Redbook or Ladies Home Journal I'm sure. It was one of the many that my mom subscribes to and to which during the holiday I turned to when the TV was turned to sports. As I flicked through the pages, I came upon some interesting website mentions (www.hautelook.com and www.gilt.com) for designer items at cut rate prices. Evidently when some of the jewelry stores go out of business and sell lots of merchandise, places like the aforementioned websites buy up the lots and then auction them off. They only cater to the high and snooty though. Hautelook does not require a waiting period, but Gilt does. Both require that you register.

Back to that famous advice. As I flicked through the articles (and wrote down those websites to try later!), I came upon an article on the worlds best organizers on their top tips for organizing. "Yeah, yeah." I thought. "Sure. Like every article I have every read on organizing goes in one eyeball and out the other." I read it and don't do one thing."

But I read on. And on. And on. And for the most part it was forgettable. But there were two pieces of advice that stood out as so valuable that I thought I should pass them on. I'm passing them on because with the first one I ACTUALLY DID IT WHEN I WENT HOME AND IT WORKS! And I think the second will work as well.

1. When you sit down to watch TV, grab a drawer, any drawer and bring a trash can over with you by the chair. As you watch TV, sort through the drawer and throw away the stuff you don't need, keep what you do, put in a bag to stuff to give away. OMG does this work! I've gone through FIVE drawers already!

2. Buy only white sheets and towels. Pretty simple, but seems very effective.

So my New Year's Resolution's are what you see above. I think I can do that and I'll be more organized too. I'll work on the more complicated stuff as the year goes on.

No comments: