Thursday, July 22, 2010

New Project: Tunisian Shawl



I have started on a new crochet project from the Summer 2010 Interweave Crochet Magazine. It is their Tunisian Lace Shawl. For this you need a Tunisian crochet hook (crochet hook with a long curvy extension that ends with a button thingy...oh, just see the photo). I'm using the Denise Interchangeable Crochet Hooks from Stitch Diva that Mom and Dad got me for Christmas and they rock (the crochet hooks are pretty cool too, 8-).



You can see the end piece of the Tunisian crochet hook and see the button piece that prevents the stitches from falling off. The Tunisian stitch is really two stitches, one forward pass and one return pass. This next photo is a close up of the two strands of yarn in the lace pattern.



It has a right side and a wrong side. Here's a shot of the entire hook with the yarn I'm using.



I'm testing this pattern with yarn that I like. I started it with the yarn in the next photo. I will be using that yarn next when I make it for my friend Gisah.



I've developed a fondness for lace weight yarn and this shawl is perfect for it. The yarns I am using are a combo of a forest green and a variagated red to green lace weight yarn and pictured in the next photo.

2 comments:

G said...

Wow, that looks great! I think using two strands isbthe trick or if you want to use one strand, use the size indicated for that yarn. It doesn't really matter the gauge since this is a shawl.

G said...

How's that shawl coming? I thought maybe I could take it to Ethiopia with me : )