Friday, January 30, 2009

What is your go to book?

The other day at school the visual and performing arts department chair was saying how much he enjoyed The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by Dave Wroblewski, which is also an Oprah book club pick. It is currently on my bedside table waiting for me to finish the Enchantress of Florence by Rushdie. As he was extolling the virtues of Sawtelle, we began to talk about books that you can recommend to everyone because they have universal appeal: such as A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. You can pretty much bet that if you give Owen Meany to anyone to read, they will come back raving about it. My husband forbid me from reading it in bed because I laughed so loud I woke him up.

So my question to you is what is your go to book? What do you think has broad appeal to everyone?


Our religion and film teacher and fellow blogger said hers is Water Witches by Chris Bohjalian (reading guide here). She said it appeals to men and women because of the strong male and female characters. The books deals with a world that is moving faster then perhaps the people in it are ready for. It has the age old conflict between old school (finding water through the water witches) and using technology to find water.

I also asked one of our senior students about a book he thinks appeals to everyone and he said Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. He also said that while it doesn't as much apply to our (American) lives, it is an inspiring story. "It puts you in the plot."

Take a moment and let me know what your go to book is. I would like to know!

2 comments:

FredCanDoIt said...

Siddhartha or My Pet Goat

G said...

I would have to say The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. It's probably a very good book to read right now. There are so many lessons to learn from that book and that is why it is my "go to book".