Monday, May 25, 2009

The Dragons of Babel The Dragons of Babel by Michael Swanwick


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I just shut the book of this delightful gem of a dark fantasy, steampunk novel. What a kicker of an ending. It appeared on the Alex Award winner list and sounded like something I would like as the Starlog likened it to Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and Mirrormask. Mention Gaiman's name and I am your girl, so it was a no brainer to grab this one up off the YALSA picks display.



Recommend this book for any of your older teens who like dark fantasy. It definitely has a steampunk sensibility, but I wouldn't necessarily reference Gaiman. Swanwick is his own man and this book has its own very lively and gritty reality. There are ethnicities of faerie that one just has to read over and imagine as nothing is explained. The set up of the world is not explained and you are just along for the ride. It is a wild ride, but so very enjoyable. The plot is twisty and the road is long and dark, but swift is the journey. I gobbled down this book in a weekend. Best of all is the tricky ending. I won't say more lest I spoil it.



Highly recommended




View all my reviews.

No comments: