Sunday, March 8, 2009

Baby Blanket Done!

The monkey baby blanket for Carolina's baby boy Wyatt is done! It is from the Stitch and Bitch Guide to Crochet. It is my first time doing granny squares and using different colored yarn. It actually went together pretty fast.

Here is photo of the monkey face. He's cute, I think. the procedure was that I did all the squares first. I had to do extra squares because I didn't do a guage and used a smaller thread. Then, I read the pattern wrong and just made lots of squares with various colors. After I started to put them together, I realized that the outer edge was in brown because brown was what was used to crochet the squares into rows and then attach the rows together. So, I had to do another round of brown on every square.

Then it took me quite a while to figure out how to put them together because it just didn't seem right. It was a bit puckered. It all came out when I blocked it with the iron and a damp towel, but next time I will insert some DCs to make the corners not pucker. I added DC and TC stitches to the outer bands to make it all even.

I didn't do the edging called for in the Stitch n Bitch book. I thought it wasn't finished enough. So I got an edging from Nicky Epstein's Crocheting on the Edge. It looks fabulous. I've gotten lots of compliments on it. I'll be mailing it off this week.

I've also started a flower scarf. It is from Positively Crochet and is a one skein scarf. I'm using Noro's Aurora, wool, kid mohair, silk and polyester. It's a great yarn to work with. I got it at Fiber Arts during the holiday sale.


1 comment:

G said...

Hey the blanket looks great! I love granny squares! I've been working on a flower scarf as well. The one that I'm working on is this one:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/yarnjungle/japanese-mini-flower-scarf